Monday, March 22, 2010

Bordeaux Tasting...yes, #2, no, #3, yes, definitely #2




I just got back from a lovely weekend in DC and stayed with the W's and their family. B and I go back to college, and at this point, I've known her husband R for over 10 years!

In honor of B's birthday, they hosted a 2005 Bordeaux tasting. 2005 was the year of their first daughter's birth. With my bottle in hand (actually, on the car seat to clarify), I hit the NJ Turnpike and headed south.

2005 was apparently a great year for Bordeaux. I picked up my bottle at the Chelsea Wine Vault in Chelsea Market, and was completely dependent on my salesperson. It's well known that this is a great vintage (well known after you reference a website or two!). I didn't realize that there are white Bordeaux wines, but didn't want to cause any problems for the tasting so stayed with the red. The term "Bordeaux" actually refers to the region in France and the wine is blend of generally made from a blend of grapes (including Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cab Franc and Malbec).

With our official scorecards in hand, we started the tasting:

What a fun night. I think I liked #2 the best, but really they were all good and the company was great. R planned out a night of many little dishes: blue cheese sliders, grilled asparagus wrapped with serrano ham, garlic shrimp, and chocolate covered strawberries.

I think the W's came in with the most popular bottles, #2 and #3. Yes, that is right, I don't even know the names of the ones we liked! But he did pick them up at Wegman's, so you can ask the nice gentleman there.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I am a big fan of Asti Spumante - bet they don't even have it at Wegman's! :) My idea of high brow wine is that it doesn't come in a box. I am the shame of all my friends at E&Y. I know way more about good chocolate and good olive oil. Very sad....

Jillie said...

Honestly, above a certain price point, it might be lost on me! I'm good in the $10-20 range, red, white, rose, anything tasty!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails